Monday, August 20, 2007

A Hopeful Beginning

Today was the first day of the Discovery Seminar that I am teaching to incoming Freshman for the next four weeks on the Anthropology of Food. Actually, I have changed the title of the class to Food for Thought: Food as an Ethics of Life, which I feel better reflects what the course is really about: a philosophical reflection on how we relate to the world through food. The students seem eager and engaged, and I feel such a sense of excitement over starting something completely new. I do so hope that this course will be as life-transforming for them as the process of planning the course has been for me!

Tomorrow Molly Wizenberg, the author of the food blog Orangette, will come to the class to discuss food writing and help the students set up their food blogs. She is much more experienced than I am with the blogging software and I am trying to calm my technology jitters by remembering that she will be there to help as well as the computer lab people down the hall.

At the end of today's class, I was pleased to show my new sprout growing equipment to the students, and we began to soak the seeds to start our own "grow operation" in Denny 401. I know it sounds a little elementary-schoolish, but there is really something very exciting about watching something actually growing. And I like the idea of turning the classroom into a "working farm." Sprouts are especially good for impatient people like me. I find myself lifting the lids of the trays everytime I pass by just to see the progress that the tiny rootlets make from their first emergence as a small white tip to become developed enough to expose them to the sunlight to green them up for eating.

In doing my research on sprout growing online, I was surprised to discover that they are not only popular with health food nuts but also survivalists. They are such a concentrated source of green nutrition that if you have enough seeds and access to water you can survive a nuclear holocaust or a major earthquake!

Maybe if our sprout endeavor is successful, we may get up the courage to plant lettuces surreptitiously in the landscaped areas outside Denny Hall. I wonder how they would fare? Would passers-by be taken by surprise? Maybe some curly-leafed kale? It is such a beautiful plant.



Curly Leaf Kale at Picardo Farm (Seattle P-Patch)